• September 16

Students begin rehearsal for High Spirits

Winter play has a ghostly plot and characters

Jordan Champe, Editor in Chief

What do you get when you combine a love story, comedy, and a haunted house? Frederick High’s 2016 fall play, High Spirits, is all that and more!

Auditions for the show ran after school during mid-September and students tried out for parts featuring a variety of characters and personalities making it all the more interesting.

Without giving too much away, the story follows a guy named Cliff Rundle and his close friend Jackie Barnes as they explore a haunted house. Jackie believes Cliff is there supporting her with her ghost exploration team, but in reality he has ulterior motives. While venturing through the house the team encounters a group of ghosts from the 1930’s. When the ghosts try to scare the intruders out of the house with all kinds of shenanigans, Jackie and Galena – the psychic – decide that the only way to send the ghosts away, is to determine why they’re still in the house.

While this year does have its handful of veterans coming out to be in the show, there’s a new trend of Frederick High seniors with little to no theater experience doing so as well. Last year’s production of Daddy’s Girl featured Derek Nestor and Ryan Hessong, both hadn’t participated in theater before but decided to give it a shot since it was their senior year. The trend seems to continue this year as well with senior Jason Fraley landing a part this year.

“I was debating what I wanted to be my career choice. I’m genuinely interested in acting so I thought I’d try it out and see what it’s like,” said Fraley.

Doing the play to give acting a try is something many of the current “theater kids” have done before finding it was something they truly liked. Other seniors want to be in the show that way they can add it to the list of activities they do on college applications. “Even if it’s not the play, you should try something new. You’ll never know if you like it if you don’t try,” said Fraley. If you have any interest in doing something different while in high school, then consider Fraley’s example and just go for it.

The cast list was posted following after auditions and because close to 20 people auditioned for the 11 role show, there had to be cuts. Mr. Templeton thanks everyone who took the time to audition. Even though the cast has been set, there are still other opportunities to be a part of the show because the show is only as good as its crew. So, seek out Mr. Templeton if you have interest in being a crew member. There will also be a musical in the spring, which doesn’t have a maximum limit of people, so there are lots more chances to explore your dramatic side this school year.