• September 16

A Melting Pot of Cultures at Frederick High

Dajah Gee, Sports Editor

The halls of Frederick High are filled with so many different cultures, given we are the most diverse school in the county. We come from places as far as France, and from places such as Frederick itself. Although all these ethnicities come together in one place, we fit and make an atmosphere of togetherness.

“Filipino culture is much more cultural then American,” said junior Beatrice Pastor “I mean don’t get me wrong, America has its own culture that was created, but I like to embrace my own. Christmas is bigger, New year’s is louder; the whole city comes to life when the clock hits midnight in the Philippines.” finishes Pastor. Although she enjoys the Philippines, Bea enjoys the freedom she has here in America. She elaborates on how much poorer her country is, and how the air is very dirty. But at the end of the day Bea loves going home to the Philippines to see her family, and be involved in the undying culture of it.

Senior Jeffrey Rivas talked about his Latino culture. “I was born in New Jersey, but my mom is from Nicaragua, and my dad is from El Salvador,” says Jeff “It’s different, having parents that come from different upbringings than yourself. They tell me to appreciate it because where they come from things were much different, in good ways but also bad.” He also spoke on the differences of his Mom’s country of Nicaragua. “It is poorer there, but the natural habitat preserves its own beauty. And the food is naturally made, not processed through factories, which can be scary but the comparison of natural fruit off a tree and fruit in a can, really shows you how different it is.” Jeff visits both sides of his family twice a year, once for Christmas and once for Easter. He describes those times as the best times of the year, being around his family, and being engulfed in his culture.

Omar Haque had lots to say about being raised under Pakistani parents, while living in America. “Well, I was born in Baltimore, but both of my parents are Pakistani,” says Omar, “Relationships are a lot different in Pakistan, dating is common but being married is something that is an everyday kind of thing. Women are married very young too.” Omar expressed his opinion on things that are of American culture, such as education, politics, even freedom. “Freedom is truly freedom here. You can do what you want but consequences are also no joke. Obviously, education is enforced here. Pakistani doesn’t worry so much about education, or politics. Politics are extremely different here; they’re taken a lot more serious, through a system. But my parents have told me to have gratitude for living here. American culture truly gives me a sense of being my own person but I can also carry my culture on freely.”

These are just 3 of the many cultures we have in our school. They bring different identities to the table, no matter if there isn’t anyone who is from where you’re from, the culture and background gives you a conversation starter, and shapes the 150 year old walls that are still standing today.