• September 16

Marching Toward Success

Kaitin Weddle, Entertainment Editor

They’re all suited up and ready to move; plumes on their heads and a roll in their step. Color guard standing in front with their flags stripped and cradled in their right arm. The drum major stood behind them with their staff and the rest of the band to follow. Starting on their left foot first, the band is ready to march onto the field at our home team Frederick High Schools Cadets football game.
Known as Frederick’s oldest marching band, our marching band has been in service for 103 years. Though over the year they definitely have evolved and have grown more advanced, they always keep their same motto, Unity and Pride. They base themselves on the fundamentals of teamwork and marching band basics. They have to work together as a unit to make sure that all plans are executed well. Also, for the last 65 years they competed in competitions with other schools in their ranking.
During competitions they compete against other bands in their own group. They are organized into groups based on the size of their band, and are judged and scored. The band is scored on their music, marching, visuals and general effect. Occasionally there is judging on the drum major. There is a lot of preparation for competitions. They practice their drill spots and music countless times until they can’t anymore, which means the closest competition being before the next practice. Competitions go on during the typical football season, and FHS marching band travels as far as Hershey Park in Pennsylvania for a competition, the Atlantic Coast Championships.
This year’s Frederick High School marching band drum major is junior Madeline Makusky. Her role as the drum major is the student leader for the band and taking charge of the band when the band director is unavailable. She said that the reason the band’s motto is ‘Unity and Pride’ is because “together we work as one band to support our school” and that they are proud to be representing Frederick High School.
Along with Madeline, there are also section leaders. These leaders are in charge of their separate sections, percussion, flutes, clarinets, saxophones and brass. This year’s section leaders are senior Su Kim, senior James Michels, junior Simon Williams, junior Javaughn Burnett, junior Justin Speirs and color guard captain junior Gwendolyn Yaeger.
Marching Band works hard to make their show go well, but they don’t sweat the “Pressure”.